Wednesday 22 December 2021

Chapter 3-12 Base Conversations: Holy Guard

Only three people and a handful of conversations each, but here we are ever still.

Today's Conversations:

  • Sigrun
  • Tanith
  • Kieran

Sigrun:

Fear is our greatest enemy! Defend the apostle with your lives!

Micaiah:

Sigrun: You are Daein’s Maiden of Dawn? Your reputation is known across the face of Tellius. They say you are the savior who rescued the people of Daein from the empire’s oppression. I see now that their stories were false. Daein remains a simple puppet.
Micaiah: I am not here to talk, I am here to fight. This is Daein’s only chance of survival.

Sigrun knows how to hit where it hurts. Although Micaiah focuses on survival rather than what comes after.

Sothe:

Sothe: I knew I’d run into you. You never leave the apostle’s side.
Sigrun: You… You used to travel with the Greil Mercenaries.
Sothe: Used to. Not anymore. I’m a member of the Daein army now.
Sigrun: Does Sir Ike know about this?
Sothe: It doesn’t matter. I’m my own person.
Sigrun: You’re right, it doesn’t matter. If you are after the apostle, you are my enemy. Prepare to meet the goddess.

Sigrun recognises Sothe as an extension of Ike rather than his own person. Sothe wasn't that much of a character in PoR, this doesn't really seem like a fair judgement. At least Sigrun recognises his independence.

Jill:

Sigrun: If I may ask… Are you not Lord Fizzart’s daughter?
Jill: How did you know?
Sigrun: I am Sigrun of the Holy Guards. Have you not heard my name from Haar?
Jill: Yes, I remember… You were the one who negotiated to let my father’s men and their families stay in Begnion.
Sigrun: That’s right.
Jill: …I’m so sorry. I’m sorry we have to meet under these circumstances.
Sigrun: Lady Jill… It’s not too late. Would you please withdraw?
Jill: No… I can’t. I know that this mission is terrible. Even so, I cannot abandon my comrades or my country.
Sigrun: I see… Very well. I shall remember your conviction when the battle is done.

The connection to Shiharam is honestly something they really didn't need to do, but it's pretty neat in terms of connecting the world. I'm surprised she doesn't bring up the fact Haar is with the GMs, though.

Zihark:

Sigrun: I remember you… You used to travel with the Greil Mercenaries. Why are you fighting us?
Zihark: I couldn’t abandon the people of my homeland.
Sigrun: I see… You are from Daein. Then there is no way for us to avoid this confrontation?
Zihark: I’m afraid not. Just like you want to protect your own country, I want to protect mine.
Sigrun: …I am sorry to hear that.

That last line... I get what Sigrun means, but damn that's cold.

Defeat:

Sigrun: Nnngh… I must not… falter…
Sanaki: Sigrun! Pull back! Get out of here right now!
Sigrun: No, Apostle Sanaki. I shall fight until my last breath! I won’t leave your side until… you are safe.
Sanaki: Sigrun!

Tanith:

Come to me, you dogs. Whatever might you think you possess pales to that of the Holy Guard.

Sothe:

Tanith: Sothe. How you’ve grown. I didn’t recognize you at first.
Sothe: …You haven’t changed much.
Tanith: I don’t understand why you are with the Daein army, but it doesn’t matter. All I need to know is that you stand before me. Are you my enemy, then? Or is this some kind of mistake?
Sothe: It’s no mistake. I’m your enemy. And I’m prepared to fight.
Tanith: Then this conversation is useless. Have at you!

Tanith keeps her time trying to talk Sothe over to a minimum. Honestly, she could've gotten away with even less.

Jill:

Tanith: Jill! Why does Daein continue to fight us? Does the Maiden of Dawn hunger for blood? Or is she a warmongering fool who doesn’t listen to reason?
Jill: She is none of those things! Lady Micaiah fights for the people of Daein!
Tanith: For the people, you say? Look around you, naive girl! Is all this death for the people?!
Jill: I-I can’t explain! We don’t have any choice in the matter!
Tanith: Fools! You merely assume that you have no choice!

Whether this is a "Jill doesn't explain the blood pact for fear of Senate reprisal" or a "opsec means Jill doesn't even know about the pact" comes down to interpretation. I honestly don't think I've considered the latter option often.

Zihark:

Tanith: You used to fight alongside the Greil Mercenaries! You now fight for Daein? But General Ike is on our si–
Zihark: Yes, I’m aware of that. Even so, I can’t pull out of this fight.
Tanith: Then you are the apostle’s enemy! Prepare to die.

Yeah, this much is more or less what she could've done with Sothe. I feel like mentioning the laguz might've been a more effective taunt for Zihark.

Defeat:

Tanith: Ugh! I must… protect the apostle! I am a Holy Guard! It is my duty…
Sanaki: Tanith! Stop fighting! You must not throw your life away!
Tanith: I cannot fight any longer… but I can become your shield. I will not let the enemy harm you. Not even a scratch.
Sanaki: Tanith…

Kieran:

Lying in wait for your enemies! What a dirty trick!

Micaiah:

Kieran: I am Kieran of the Crimean Royal Knights! Prepare yourselves, evildoers of Daein!
Micaiah: I don’t care what you say. This is our only choice! We can’t stop fighting!

A relatively simple one, but honestly, I didn't have this in my initial notes. Pegasusknight.com is a little confused about this one, too.

Sothe:

Kieran: You! You used to travel with the Greil Mercenaries!
Sothe: Wait, I know you… Crimea’s Royal Knights, Fifth Platoon leader…
Kieran: I am the second commander of the Royal Knights now!
Sothe: Ah, you did well for yourself. Are you still travelling with Oscar?
Kieran: Yes, he’s my archrival!
Sothe: Um, what’s your name again?
Kieran: It’s Kieran! How dare you forget my name!
Sothe: Oh, right, now I’ve got it. I hated the way you’d announce your name in the middle of the battlefield. That was annoying.
Kieran: And now you insult me! Even though we know each other, I will not go easy on you! You are my enemy now! This is your last chance to run. I’ll give you to the count of three! One… Two… Three…
Sothe: Hey now, don’t get mad. Other than the announcing thing, you were all right. But I have to fight. Prepare yourself!

Sothe really coming in swinging about Kieran's habits now that they're not working together. You thought having a responsibility to make sure Kieran doesn't kill himself was bad, imagine being his comrade in arms and listening to him scream his fifty titles every time he launches an attack.

Jill:

Kieran: Dracoknight Jill! Why did you return to the Daein army?!
Jill: I…
Kieran: Last time we fought together, you betrayed your heartless homeland to fight on Crimea’s side! You used to know how to tell right from wrong! What happened?
Jill: Sir Kieran…
Kieran: Why do you look so sad? It isn’t like you! Come, join us in righteousness!
Jill: I truly envy you. You fight with pride and loyalty in your heart. I wish I could do the same, these days…

"You used to know how to tell right from wrong." Aside from how horrifying this is as a line... the thing that hurts the most is that Jill still does know right from wrong, and is doubting that this side is right, but for entirely different reasons. Still, though, Kieran, not cool.

Zihark:

Kieran: Zihark! What are you doing in the Daein army?!
Zihark: I couldn’t abandon the people of my homeland.
Kieran: You are originally from Daein?
Zihark: That’s right. I want to protect my country, just like you want to protect yours. That’s why I fight for the Daein army.
Kieran: I am sorry to hear that… I will not go easy on you just because we know each other.
Zihark: Thanks, Kieran. I prefer it that way.

Zihark and Kieran can handle themselves with decency, though. Mainly because Kieran's confusion trumps his zealotry.

Ugh… Aargh! We will pull back temporarily! I’m not fool enough to let my men die meaninglessly!

No comments:

Post a Comment