Friday 24 June 2022

DQXIS Act 2 Inner Ocean: Forgotten Friend

This update will be sidequests, sequence-breaking, and one nugget of important, if out of sequence, plot information.

Starting with this man, who has appeared now that the Soldiers of Smile have taken up residence in Don Rodrigo's manor.

He requires us to perform a Pep Power.

This sidequest is somewhat tricky, since it requires a three-person power when we haven't gotten back to seven party members, but the reward is something impressive.

To be specific, the party members in question are Erdward, Hendrik and Sylvando. I do not imagine I was required to explain that, but it helps to know for sure.

With the Stallion ready for use, Dave has now reappeared at port. I don't think I've ever actually tested Zooming to Puerto Valor, running to the Emerald Coast and trying that port. In DQ games past, that would not be allowed, but I think DQ11 might make an exception because of how its overworld works?

Dave points us in the correct direction: Our next plot objective is in Zwaardsrust.

...Like the last time we got on the boat for the first time.

Rab is remarkably interested. Not sure why, but he is relevant to the quest in question. Which probably means the game will find some way to railroad you into picking him up before you do it.

The Valor-Sauvage Channel is open from the start, and all Insulae (apart from Centralis), Lonalulu, and the Strand are available for visit.

These fish-made-men are haunted by harrowing memories of being reeled in by fisherfolk, and harbour a deep-seated grudge against them as a result.

Old men of the sea are an enemy from DQ5, and as they might appear, they're mages. They know Crackle, Swoosh, and...

Lightning. Not that Lightning is that scary, but it's Zap damage. I think "Elemental Resist" has you covered? I suspect Dark is not included in that, but Lightning feels like it should be. I'm ashamed I'm not sure what is "Elemental Resist".

There's a cutscene when you first attempt to leave the strait, but it's (mostly) standalone, which is why I chose to complete it right away.

Probably for the best we found this earlier rather than later: seems we have a stowaway!

In any other DQ game, this would probably be an excuse to have the ship itself as an explorable location as you head to the source of the kerfuffle. A few DQ games, most prominent among them DQ9, allow you to explore your own boat. This game never makes the Salty Stallion an actual location.

You might be forgiven for not recognising this guy right away:

It's been a while since we've seen him in his normal outfit.

Sylvando called for backup, although fortunately that won't be necessary.

Sylvando and Rab are quick to welcome Erik back into the fold as a party member. Hendrik, if you will recall, has not met Erik in a friendly capacity yet, and before he was our companion, he was a wanted criminal of no small feat.

Erik, having absolutely zero idea what is going on, resorts to the first thing that comes to mind: apologising for stealing food.

(It should also be noted he speaks with a much different tone of voice.)

Good question.

Erik has backed away in fear from Sylvando's approach, incidentally. The camera gives it a lot more focus than I did.

Hendrik speaks up with a pertinent observation: Even if he happens to be the same Erik we started with, he is clearly not able to be that Erik.

He does answer to the name Erik, at least.

We know how this happened, although it was clear the writers had a heck of a time trying to figure that out.

Important memories in order for him to ultimately recover his memory and his position. Thankfully, the Seer was merciful in that regard. Presumably, she understands that Erik continues to be important to the Luminary, both as a person and in his abilities.

Erik asks for exactly what we'd ask from him: That he join the party.

No questions asked about it, old friend...

Erik has indeed become an additional party member, but he comes with some... conditions.

Don't make jokes like that, Sylvando.

Erik has no idea what he's on about. Trust me, even with your memories, that's normal.

Hendrik: I once hunted Erik as a common thief- I know first-hand his ability to elude the most pressing danger. ...I can only hope the Princess boasts similar talents.
Rab: It's a shame about Erik's memory, but we ought to count our blessings. Of all the ships in all the seas, it's a miracle he stowed away in ours. Speaking of miracles... that inn Dave told us about near Zwaardsrust sounds a wee bit interesting. It's not every day ye hear about everyone staying in a place having the same dream. What did he say it was called again? Ah yes- the Warrior's Rest, that was it! Well, laddie? Fancy finding out if there's any truth to the tale?
Sylvando: Erik has become such a nice, polite boy... I don't like it. And it's not just his memory that's the problem- he seems so anxious all the time...
If Veronica could see him now, her sides would split- but if you ask me, honey, it's no laughing matter.
Erik: I'm sorry. I don't mean to be a burden, but I'd really appreciate it if you'd let me tag along with you for a while.
That way, I might remember something about myself. And I swear I'll make myself useful- I'll swab the decks, wash the dishes- anything!

For some reason, Rab has like four alternate versions of his Party Chat line depending on precisely when you put down the thing you're supposed to do in Zwaardsrust to go do this.

Erik's amnesia doesn't just stretch to his narrative understanding of the world. He's gone and forgotten everything that makes him Erik! He does still know all his spells (for all the good Rubblerouser and Cock-a-doodle-doo will do him) and Pep Powers that don't depend on his abilities (Scorched Earth has long since lost its luster, but when we get Jade back, he can still Hallelujah), but for the moment, he's just an extra warm body on the bench. Fortunately, when it comes to charging Pep Powers and emergencies, a warm body on the bench is still good to have at hand.

Oh, and yes, Nose for Treasure works.

Erik will be the third recipient of Seeds of Skill before the duping pays off- he requires three. The irony of giving him Seeds of Skill when he has no use for SP has been noted.

Their faint luminescence is visible only in the gloom of the ocean floor, where they use it to communicate with others of their kind.

Sail serpents come from DQs 6 and 9, and they're masters of paralysis, with both the bite and the burning breath. They can also try to knock you over.

Now then, when I listed "locations we can visit", you might've noticed I excluded Sniflheim. This was intentional.

We won't be reaching Sniflheim until we figure out a way past this obstacle.

Not much we can do about it right now. Other than marvel.

Sounds right.

Something about the idea of gold stirs a memory in Erik's mind, but he doesn't remember enough to pipe up.

Anyway, this is where the real sequence breaking happens. Yes, Gondolia. Yes, the place right outside Puerto Valor.

Hendrik: How long has it been since we fought back-to-back to protect the Last Bastion? Travelling the world with you and your companions has made me realise the strength of the ties that bind you. Jasper and I did not share such a bond. Perhaps I am therefore in no position to offer such advice, but I bid you, Luminary- treasure those friendships.
Rab: There's nowhere in Erdrea that hasn't been touched by the Lord of Shadows' evil...
Well, it's the Luminary's job to put things right and save the people from the darkness- and when we get to Arboria, we'll be one step closer to doing just that.
Sylvando: We're all the best of friends, of course, but you and Erik have something special. You're like brothers.
I can't help feeling a little jealous when I see you two together. Ah, if only I'd been thrown in the Heliodorian dungeons... Maybe then you and I would have that certain special something instead!
Erik: I'm sorry. I don't mean to be a burden, but I'd really appreciate it if you'd let me tag along with you for a while.
We used to know each other, right? If I stick with you, maybe it'll help me get my memories back.

Huh, wonder what prompted this? Probably something about being off the beaten path.

First of all, in the new Act, the bargain brothers have a new item to sell: Hendrik's old armour (no idea where they got that). I'm not entirely clear what happens to the cat suit if you don't already possess it, but I assume you still have access.

The price to target is 5000 gold.

I quite like the armour, especially the colour co-ordination with his current axe, so he can wear it around for a while. The armour itself is relatively unimpressive as armour.

The shop has some expanded inventory, a few items of which it is worth considering. The Fizzle Foil is one such item- it's expensive, but it is the answer to Conchella's riddle. I prefer to wait until I can acquire one for free, though.

This is the real prize. This blade, with no exaggeration, is a candidate for the Greatsword we bring to fight Mordegon himself. There's a stronger one we can find later, but this has a crit chance that one does not.

The rest of the stock. The Paladin's Lance has Jade's name on it, but I'm not going to buy it until we retrieve her. The Hieroglyph Staff and Overlord's Axe are more tempting.

Hey big spender~!

Got around to forging a Platinum Headgear for Sylv, while the Forge was open. This will be important later, too, but it's good I got it, if less good I didn't manage +3.

+2 on the Lord's Sword is disappointing, but it's good enough. I can always go for +3 later.

The... the fishy people?

Gondolia, and Insula Australis too, is the new temporary home of the Nauticans, or at least the male ones, while Alizarin has compromised the location. What happened to the females? No idea, but they clearly had something up their sleeve. Gives you a new appreciation for Marina's efforts to undo the Mermaid's Burden.

Oh hey, this one got caught rhyming.

Almost thought he was a female Nautican in an alternative land-dwelling form, but that was not to be the case.

Here the Nauticans shall remain until we've figured out what to do about Alizarin. Shouldn't be too hard.

You won't have to worry about that. They may be starving, but I don't think they'd eat anything that talks back to them before dying of starvation.

This guy's talking about the Insula Australis bunch.

This guy over here has a Quest for us. This is one of the really important Quests.

The sage's stone is a powerful healing item, being an infinite use item that heals the entire party for ~50 HP since it's first appearance in DQ3 and maintaining a perfect record following.

Well, OK, that's not entirely true. For DQ11, and I'm told some versions of DQ8, it got buffed to ~100 HP.

Unfortunately, right now it's at the bottom of the ocean.

More fortunately, we have access to the bottom of the ocean. Ish.

The Sage's Stone itself is not the prize for completing this sidequest, but we will be able to keep it nonetheless.

Hey, I deal with crazy on a regular basis.

Yes, that's Nautica, as referred to from a birds-eye view. Never really thought of it as "east of Heliodor" before, admittedly.

Oh yeah, you may have spotted it earlier, but there's a glowing red orb in the sky now. It's not, strictly speaking, Gondolia's problem, but in fact Gallopolis's. Still, it's big enough Gondolia is concerned.

...Well, shoot. Just when I thought I had a normal amount of problems to be getting on with.

This unfortunate lass is the other Quest in Gondolia, and it's somehow almost just as good.

...Hides my reserves of Yggdrasil Leaves.

That sounds easy enough.

The "desert rose", is it?

Oh, it is the desert rose. This was a "knick-knack" that appeared in remakes of DQ5, although it didn't necessarily look the same there. Fortunately, we don't have to do anything weird like sleep in an inn the correct number of times to acquire one.

It's definitely in the desert, of course, where else would it be?

I know, I know, I'm on it...

Dragon slimes who've taken on a metallic tinge, which means that when the fire they breathe blows back in their faces, they don't get burned.

Metal dragon slimes come from DQs 7 and 10, and they're a little weird- you'd think they'd be Metal Slimes, right? No, they're normal enemies (Slime family, specifically), although you might find them high in defence and low in HP in a very conventional way. In DQ7, they actually pretended to sorta have the same EXP/Gold drop rate as a true Metal, but DQ11 did not see fit to do the same- those Vicious morpheans have a higher EXP yield per head.

For attacks, they have both fire and ice breath, the Multiheal spell, and will mimic their Metallic brethren in running away from time to time.

The Laguna di Gondolia is an Act 1 dungeon with the Act 1 enemies.

I'm just here for this.

I also managed to secure the Pep setup to do this, so I dropped my business to go do it. Sometimes it do be like that.

Sylvando and Hendrik ready their swords-

And shoot a sword beam at Erdward's.

This gives Erdward a super set of status effects- from the looks of it, Status-clear, +2 Atk/Def/Agi, and Perfect Block Rate. As well as giving him a fresh Pep status because why the hell not? This lasts ~4 turns.

I don't think you needed Erdward to finish him off, just to have used it at all. Also, don't forget you can climb the ledge from the Zoom Point naturally- don't think you have to ride an Eggsoskleton. That mistake might cost you your Pep.

Oh hey, I picked this up. I just needed a few more levels under my belt to get the Toady down when everything else did.

Monsters made when veteran warriors die with unfinished business in hand, and their restless souls reach out from beyond the grave.

Ooh boy, time to meet the hardy hand. This thing first appeared only in the GBC version of DQ3, and weren't all that impressive. In this game? They're Metals. 8 HP, can run away, a massive EXP payout on defeat... and would you believe me if I told you they still call for help?

They also have Whack, too, which is always unpleasant.

I feel bad for all the EXP the girls are about to miss out on.

Rab, less so.

Sylvando's also gone and sourced his own Oomphle somewhere.

'Smoochy, smoochy!' That's the only sound you'll hear when one of these lip-smacking so-and-sos is near.

Kissers have finally appeared as enemy encounters, after so long spent knowing about Madame Labouche. They can use Blow Kiss (tries to mesmerise), Tongue-Bashing (tries to skip a turn) and Magic Barrier.

And yes, it's not exactly the most important thing to notice in this matchup.

Jade, Serena, Veronica, I apologise profusely.

Oh yeah, Rab's finally gone and got that one.

Erik's also learned that one, I suppose. Yay?

...You mean Hendrik hasn't had Hatchet Man yet? Hardy Hands are less prone to running than their slimy brethren, but still.

The devilish crimson of these cursed umbrellas makes them a must-have accessory among fashion-conscious fiends.

The brollygarch, new to DQ11, has a few interesting tricks to show us. Alongside Kafuddle, it also knows the abilities "Roundaclout" (a group-targeting brolly ability with the potential for knockdown) and Thin Air, a powerful All-targeting wind attack. When used by the player in DQs 6-8, this was a powerful screen-clearing attack, and if you're not careful, you might find yourself on the wrong end of it here.

I don't think anyone on our side ever even learns Thin Air this time around.

Having had enough of being made meals of by mankind, they bit back, becoming big and strong enough to turn the tables by hunting humans.

King crabs (the one on the left, as comical as that statement is) first appeared in the remakes of DQ3- not just GBC, but SNES and so forth too- before being welcomed into the fold as normal enemies with DQs 9 and 10. They have crits and Snooze, and while they do have bulk, it shouldn't be that much to worry about.

Fierce, fire-breathing beasts from the deepest depths of the ocean. The heat from their flames boils the water around them, which is what gives them their brilliant crimson hue.

Lobster mobsters are original to DQ11, and they have the ability to take two actions, with access to the abilities of a fiery inferno and a multi-targeting slash attack. They apparently have less Defence than the King Crabs, but rest assured they are the more intimidating foe.

Over here in Gallopolis, Erdwin's Lantern is much more prominent amongst the surroundings. The Lantern, incidentally, is directly above the Celestial Sands- yes, as it happens, exactly where you expect it to be.

The citizens of Gallopolis have been evacuated, although they've only made it this far.

The Gallopolis sands have gotten a little scarier since last time we were here. Rest assured, give the lizard creature pictured right a wide berth. It likes to pretend to be a cactus- there's a second, still-hiding one in the background.

We'll just be nabbing this and going, then.

If you're in the mood to do so, the Town Story of Gallopolis does not actually require any fighting at all, and you can complete it right now, if you so wished. Well, mostly. The reward for doing so will not be presented to you until such time as the game directs you to visit Gallopolis, although you can do the horse races and shop from the stores if you do. I decided not to, so I didn't suddenly break out into a Town Story during a sidequesty update.

If you do go in there, I might recommend picking up the Beast Claws for Rab. Next boss is Beast family. I don't think it's an option for me, although perhaps if I had checked the campsite store...

For reference, that is a concealed one of the monsters to Avoid At All Costs.

I returned to give this back immediately, although in hindsight, I ultimately actually continued past Gallopolis. I hadn't planned to, but it was good that I did.

...I'm not entirely sure what the deal is with desert roses, real or fictional, but it sounds like I want to see one in more detail than DQ normally provides.

...Hopefully not literally.

Well, glad to hear that much for yourself.

...Hopefully I can make it so your life actually is long.

Ah, the Happy Hat. This thing is amazing.

+3 MP restored through overworld movement. Annoyingly, how frequent the ticks are doesn't seem to be all that lenient in 3D, but this really ramps up the sustain on Veronica, Rab... well, really, anyone. Perhaps Erdward is the most interesting non-mage to consider it for. There are, in fact, ways to get more of these things, but this is a good, free way to get one in a hurry.

Anyway, Hotto Steppe. Much like Gallopolis, there isn't actually anything stopping you completing the Town Story now. Unlike Gallopolis, you'll have to fight for it, and even if I didn't care about sharing the EXP with the girls, you're gonna want Serena at hand for that boss. Besides, you can't get the reward until you're supposed to come this way anyway, too.

The Cryptic Crypt is another dungeon with Act 1 enemies running around.

We're here for Malodorine's stuff.

...So when do you start counting your age?

...More importantly, was Malodorine a Walking Corpse when she was born?

I suppose this one would be a kid, then? I certainly hope so. The alternative is even more terrifying.

I've never been happier or more confused to see an eight year old.

Fetide is the one in Jarvis's room, tending to some mystery science-looking equipment.

He's fully understanding of Malodorine's situation. If perhaps moreso than we are.

Well, that explains why nothing's made it yet. Wonder if I can help with that. Probably just by doing the normal things and hoping for the best.

...I'll be honest, my nose was always pretty terrible, I'm not sure what I'd smell if I smelt this.

That much I can do.

...Oh great, you just keep making this question even more annoying. Probably for the best I stop thinking about it.

...I'm leaving now.

Time for a round of Quest turn-ins.

Glad to hear it. Although I still wonder why you're here.

...I'm still very definitely sure the Laguna is not actually as close to Phnom Nonh as he's making it sound.

The Mythril Ore, though, that's a huge windfall. Especially for those paralysis-resistant hats we can forge now...

Right, so Madame Labouche... when it comes to her Charm challenge, this is the sort of build you might expect to make. Maybe a Bling-Bling Belt or some other Charming accessory can help you if you're a little bit off.

I choose to ignore the fact that Erdward is doing the Mardi Garb dance. I still don't know what causes that.

...I am concerned on a number of levels now. I'm sure the kids she's nominally in charge of are just fine, though. Less sure about the rest of us.

The Glam Gear is a costume set for Sylvando, so it's good to grab.

...Not sure if you have a life to save, but I definitely got your reputation fixed up.

I would rather not have the romantic affections of everyone on campus. Erik's bad enough.

...

Are they still into him when he's amnesiac and significantly less suave? He still has the cool costume and hairstyle, but the attitude has to have been a huge selling point, right?

Erik: The girls who go here all seem to be really healthy. I guess the school dinners must be pretty nutritious… Hm, for some reason I’ve got this faint memory of sitting in some dark corner, nibbling on a piece of stale bread… That’s all I remember, but I must have done something really bad to end up somewhere like that, right?

This is the only Party Chat line I found in the datamine that might fit bringing amnesiac Erik to L'Academie- I didn't check myself. I dunno, something about that description doesn't scream "Heliodor dungeons" to me...

Anyway, this wasn't about him. The Hades Helm is a formerly cursed item that has been upgraded to curse-resistant, giving 25-100% curse resistance as a head slot. Just Curse, though, no Dark resistance. It's good for Erdward or Hendrik.

Well shoot. We don't yet have access to Love Potions, so these will have to wait.

Managed to get the Happy Hat to +3, though. Rab's gonna appreciate this one.

...I'll let Hendrik and Sylv handle this one.

Their mohican-topped helmets make them particularly popular with trend-conscious teens-a fact they're privately proud of.

...None of the knight errant family have this in their bio. Perhaps this is to be combined with the deadnauts from Act 1? I dunno, feels a little weird, especially since knights errant are Demons and not Undead.

...This conversation is just weird in general.

The Metal Slime Shield is among the best Shields one could ask for for a good long while. Not only does it give 5% Elemental Resist and some solid Defence, it's also good for Serena and Sylvando as well as Erdward and Hendrik. This one might not live up to as much, though, but it's nice to have one now.

Huh, there's a Soldier of Smile in the Church now. This one is, I think, the Juggler. Well, if he's qualified...

As for reforging it, it wasn't exactly an easy one, but there's also a new Forging pattern on display here: You get halved Costs, and then you get increased costs for heightened crit rate.

I, er, ultimately failed to get a good Forge, and Hendrik will stick to using this raw until I get a few more levels.

Much like the visit to Sniflheim in Act 1, the visit to Gondolia in Act 2 is the game giving you some degree of freedom while not ultimately giving you the ability to tackle the plot objectives in a different order- although you can help Gallopolis and Hotto out, unlike with Act 1 Sniflheim, the fact the party doesn't know what the rewards are supposed to be means they don't ultimately ask. Even if they did, there's a third reward necessary to get anything concrete out of it, and you definitely can't get that one until it's plot relevant. The game does have its ways of rewarding you for going out of your way, but considering Jade and the twins are still out there somewhere, perhaps you'd want to find them first anyway.

Erik's sudden reappearance without his Skills is an excellent element narratively, although the position in which it occurs means players will have wildly different experiences on what he offers. Playing the story from Point A to Point B, Erik will only be present in the party for a short walk and a few boss battles before getting his memories back, at worst- but since we went out of our way to pick him up early, his meek amnesiac personality is going to be around for a lot longer. The nature of his amnesia necessitating that he get two sets of Party Chat lines- pre and post amnesia- certainly didn't help the load. The writers handled it admirably, although perhaps the impression given to the reader might come off differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment